Phoenix canariensis palms have lots of history in California and can be seen lining streets, ranches, parks and beaches across the state. Grown for it’s large canopy and “pineapple” trunk, the Canary Island Date palm is one of the most majestic palm trees to plant as a statement. Used by Spanish missionaries since the late 1700’s, the Canary Date palm is arguably one of the most recognizable palm species in the state. Some of the oldest examples can be seen throughout Los Angeles and old town San Diego. Our grove of Phoenix canariensis holds approximately 500 trees at 8’-12’ BTH. Our Canary’s are certified fusarium free and available for delivery in CA, AZ and NV. Specify Phoenix canariensis along side Brahea armata & Washitonia filibusta for a classic & timeless look. Heritage specimens, Phoenix reclinata and hybrids also available upon request!
- Common Name: Pineapple Palm, Canary Island Date Palm
- Origin: Canary Islands
- Zone: Coastal Southern CA up to San Francisco and east into the deserts of California, Arizona and Las Vegas.
- Light Requirements: Full Sun to Part Shade
- Design Appeal: Large Green Pinnate Fronds, Dense Canopy, Orange Flowers & Fruit, Wide Textured Pineapple Trunk, Adventitious Roots
- Mature Height: 75’
- Trunk: Single 36” Diameter
- Canopy: 20’-30’